Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Quinoa Salad

Going to a friend's house and supposed to take a salad... ran through many options in my head, but running short on time.  Decided to try to make do with items already in my house... here's the "recipe" - I thought it turned out pretty well.  It's mostly veggies, with some quinoa added.

-100 calories of cooked quinoa (about a half cup, I used two small prepackaged, frozen servings I had in freezer.)
-half a can of garbanzo beans (200cal)
-a smallish tomato, seeded and chopped
-1/5 of a red pepper, chopped
-a handful of spinach, ribboned
-artichoke hearts from a jar, packed in water, about 10 quarters, sliced.
-juice from one lemon
-cumin (just shook it, but not too much, barely to taste.)

This made 3 large servings for us - I calculate it to be about 145cal per serving.

I also added about 35 cal of chopped avocado when I plated it.  Really good with the flavors of the salad.  Add at the end though or it will totally break down as you mix.

Thought later about taking a TBS of humus and thinning it out with the lemon juice to make a thicker dressing.  I like straight lemon, but not everyone does... and it doesn't exactly hold the salad together at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment