Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chicken and Mushroom Crepes

There are a few BMD meals that I really miss.  The chicken and mushroom crepes are one of the top ones.  If I could order 7 of that meal, I would.  I found frozen crepes at Ikea (yes, I know I could make them, but...).  So, I looked up chicken mushroom crepes on cookinglight and mashed two recipes together... Original recipes #1 and #2

My Recipe...
6 frozen Ikea crepes, thawed
29oz of raw chicken breast (roasted in oven, trimmed and chopped, 19oz cooked)
8oz mushrooms, chopped (should have used more, like 16oz)
2/3 of a large onion, chopped
1T of butter
2 T cornstarch
2 cups of skim mik
2 oz gruyere cheese
1 oz mozarella cheese
red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
garlic powder
1-2 T of fresh thyme, chopped
1-2 T of parsely, chopped

Saute the mushrooms and onions until mostly soft.  In a bowl, mix the chicken, mushrooms, onions, shredded cheese and seasonings.  In a small cup mix the cornstarch with a small bit of milk, just enough to moisten.  Heat the butter in a small pan, add the slurry and let cook a bit.  Add the remaining milk.  Cook for a minute or so and cool to thicken.  Add the milk mixture to the chicken mixture and gently stir to coat.  Serve with a thawed crepe (or make your own!)

By my measurements and calculations, each serving is about 375cal.  The chicken mixture is amazingly tasty.  Don't skip out on the thyme -- it really makes the meal.  Note to self though: Don't use more that 2T... it gets heavy.  And easy on the parsley... it's bitter.  And I could probably get away with using just half a crepe per serving.  AND it could use twice as many mushrooms!  With a few tweaks though, this is perfect!  And exactly what I was craving.  Hopefully it holds me over as long as the BMD version!  (Edit on trying: So far, so good... It's been 2 hours and I still feel FULL.)


No comments:

Post a Comment