Friday, July 30, 2010

Box #1 Arrives!

I placed my order with BistroMD for a week of Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, with no snacks.  No snacks to keep a little flexibility and to keep cost down.  The week is about $160 for 20 meals.  One dinner is skipped to leave some freedom of choice.  I placed the order on July 21.  Only concern at this point is not being able to figure out when the box will come.  I never actually called the company (Remember, lazy. And I've been a night owl recently.  Not many companies are open at 3am).  Fortunately, it worked out okay because... drum roll please, the box came today! 

The box was delivered by FedEx at 1030am (I know because I called FedEx).  I didn't get home until 530pm.  It was sitting in the sun on a 90degree day.  I was a little worried, but everything was still super frozen and there was still some solid dry ice in the container.

Opening the box was a little like Christmas morning...  All the food was frozen and I put it straight into the freezer.  My Day 1 will be Monday.  I organized a little by day using the menu, so things are easy to get to in the freezer.  Be aware: In an average refrigerator, a delivery will take up almost half the freezer.

My only concern so far is the amount of packaging this process will create.  A big cardboard box every week.  A big styrofoam cooler every week.  Each meal has a plastic tray AND and cardstock wraparound.  I'll have to find a good way to reuse all the coolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment